This morning, our fantastic pastor, Mark Marshall, spoke of how, as Christians, we know that God sets the standard for our lives. However, to those watching us from the outside in (through the fishbowl so to speak), we set the standard for them. As Christians, we are expected to live a certain way, act a certain way, speak a certain way, be a certain way. And that is fine, I don't take issue with that. I just need to remember that.
I've always known that people were watching me as a Christian. Our friends, our colleagues, non-Christians around us, our children. I just never thought of it (at least not until today) as others actually seeing us as "the standard." Our children are the classic example. As Mark described, Cooper isn't just watching me. I am his mother. I am his leader. I am his guide. I am "his standard."
Yesterday, Cooper said something that was very grown up, and very "Allison" for those of you who know me. (It was hysterical, and Jeremy blogged it, so I won't steal his thunder.) Cooper also says, "uh-huh" all the time, and we are trying to break him of it -- having him say "Yes" instead. Why does he say "uh-huh" all the time? Because I say it. All the time. Of course, this is a minor, largely harmless example, but the underlying lesson is the same -- Cooper thinks saying "uh-uh" falls within the acceptable standard of living -- because his Mommy does it. They say children parrot us, and that is true. But Mark helped me realize this morning that it is more than that. We set the bar for them, and in large part, they will live up to that bar, no matter how high or low we choose to raise it.
It sure does change the way I view my own behavior. I don't want to mislead Cooper of course. When I get frustrated with an erratic driver on the interstate. When I am quick to anger when Buford is running around the house barking. I can't let Cooper think that being quick to anger is how I should be acting in those circumstances. Of course, we can't expect ourselves to never make mistakes. But this sermon just brought a whole new awareness to me of how my behavior doesn't just impact others around me -- it might, at least for some people, be considered "the standard" by which God wants us to live. Again, even though that isn't the "truth" according to God's Word (because, of course, as sinners, we all fall short of the glory of God), it is nonetheless the perception. And one that I as a Christian woman seeking to live a Godly life need to come to grips with.
We set the bar for our children. We set the bar for non-Christians watching us through the fishbowl. As for me and my family, we will set the bar high. -Joshua 24:15
2 comments:
That is such a good way to see it Allison. I am humbled by how much Caroline looks to us for how to act and what to say. Just this morning she was putting on her backpack and grabbed another bag to put on her shoulder, "just like you, Papa." Jeff almost always carries a shoulder bag when he leaves for work. It was a small, unimportant thing, but so telling about how she watches us.
Allison, we have noticed just this week how the boys are starting to do things they 'see' us do, that we haven't really 'taught' them, and thought 'wow, they are watching our every move'! We have been talking about this alot lately and how we really have to be good examples. Its funny you posted about this, because its really been on my heart this week!
Thanks for sharing your heart!
Post a Comment