I know most of my blog readers (women) don't care, but I absolutely love college football. On that note, I thought I'd weigh in on the crappy BCS system and what has resulted from it this season. My thoughts are this:
It just stinks that some teams can just coast into the National Championship game, not having played since before Thankgiving, because they don't have a conference championship game (OHIO STATE). And it stinks for Missouri that they played like absolute poo-poo in their conference championship game, knocking them out of the #1 spot, but they shouldn't have played like absolute poo-poo knowing that would be the result.
And for the strain of folks who think LSU should go to the championship game over Georgia, I find that incredibly irrational. And let me say this....I like LSU second to Tennessee in the SEC. And I despise Georgia more than anyone else in the SEC, so I'm clearly being objective. But LSU played like crap in the SEC championship (probably because of all the injuries, but they still played like crap). They barely squeaked out a victory over a clearly inferior Tennessee team, and only because Erik Ainge threw an interception when UT was on the LSU 12 yd line to tie the game. (And UT doesn't lose in overtime EVER, and LSU loses in overtime ALWAYS, so you know what the result would have been absent Ainge's bad pass.) So, Georgia gets the shaft because it didn't get to go to the SEC championship game because of an early season loss to UT, and LSU automatically deserves to jump them in the poll. HOGWASH if you ask me. I love you Tiger fans, but that's just not fair.
So, here I am concluding that Ohio State-Georgia, or Ohio State-Oklahoma are the only 2 acceptable matchups. And ironically, I despise all 4 of those teams. Hopefully a playoff system is in the works now. Yeah right, wishful thinking.
3 comments:
Georgia had it's chance when they lost to Tennessee and South Carolina and not only didn't win their conference, but didn't even win their division. Boomer Sooner or Geaux Tigers if you ask me.
GO Alison! I hear you! (I like watching football too!) Hannah didn't like it when her daddy would yell during the game. Like you he hates the BCS and was rooting for an SEC team to win the BCS championship, realizing that UT wasn't it. Bad game, we should have won. LSU lost to Kentucky AND Arkansas as #1!!! Whatever...
What exactly did Georgia do to deserve to be there? Be highly ranked in your "crappy BCS" poll? LSU earned the right to play in the SEC Championship game and beat a ranked team. We can discuss later whether or not Jonathan Zenon or Darry Beckwith had anything to do with those interceptions. I know this is a slippery slope but LSU beat both the teams that Georgia lost to while Georgia beat only one of the teams LSU lost to. For fear of getting carpal tunnel syndrome I will stop for now and I look forward to discussing this later. - Rusty
Post a Comment